Statement Plus Reporting Guidelines
Statement Plus is a customized report augmenting the information contained in publisher’s statements and audit reports. Examples of what you may choose to include in Statement Plus are expanded trending, distribution versus print run, percentage of newsstand returns and expanded renewal rate data.
This reporting is offered to any member of AAM to address their specific reporting needs.
- The Statement Plus may be issued at any time as a "stand-alone" document.
- Any data submitted for the first time must be audited prior to its publication. Unless ongoing interim auditing is deemed necessary, subsequent updates of the same information may be published prior to verification, which would take place during the publication's next regular audit cycle. Each Statement Plus will indicate whether the data has been audited or is subject to audit.
- If data includes averages, they must be calculated over a period coinciding with the reporting period for the member's division (i.e., June or December for consumer magazines; March or September for newspapers).
- If data other than averages is reported, a date indicating when the data was calculated ("as of”) must be included.
- The next audit report released following this date will contain a reference to indicate verification of data contained in the previously released Statement Plus.
- Copies of the Statement Plus may be automatically issued to all members requesting reports for the publication involved, subject to review by the managing director.
- If data is related to typical optional reporting data, both data points must appear on the Statement Plus. For example, if average price per copy is reported, the average annualized price must also be shown.
- Advertorial statements and references to competing publications are prohibited.
- Publisher requests for this report must be approved in advance by the managing director.
- To distinguish it from an audit report and a publisher's statement, the Statement Plus will be printed on paper which corresponds to the color used for each publisher's division interim statement (goldenrod for newspapers, salmon for consumer magazines, brown for business publications and light green for farm publications).
- The Statement Plus may not include any data prohibited by AAM Bylaws, Rules or Policies.
- Data allowed under current rules must be presented in accordance with the rules and/or calculated according to established formulas.
- All data must be clearly defined and carry approved explanations.
- Data must be based on either historic or present reporting period information and may not be a projection of future expectations.
- All information included in the report is subject to AAM's normal publicity disclosure policies.
- Third party information submitted for inclusion must receive prior approval from AAM directors representing the appropriate publisher division.
For additional information on the reporting of Statement Plus, please contact your publisher relations manager at AAM Headquarters, 224-366-6939.
Sign Up for Our
Get connected. Stay connected. Be the first to gain insider intelligence with the latest news, products, events and training from AAM.